Monday, June 13, 2011

Psychedelia

Psychedelic 60's
The 1960's were a time where the 'young guns' ruled, and where hippy was 'hip'. Though they were influenced by Art Nouveau, they had a very 'fresh' idea of what 'in'. Their designs were mostly based around; outrageous and clashing colours, optical illusions and purposely blurred images. The images themselves were very basic, with minimal realistic detail, and emphasis on movement and vibration. The majority of am advertisement is text, but they warp the text until it is nearly illegible. A couple of the most notable of designers in the Psychedelic era are; Andy Warhol, Wes Wilson, and Roy Lichtenstein.


 < One of his most famous works, Andy Warhol's "Campbell's Soup" cans are/were very popular because of their oddly matched colours and repetition.
To be totally honest (and I figure I might cop a bit for this but) I don't like his colours, most of them make me feel like I'm going to be sick. But I get where people are coming from when they say they like it, Warhol is consistent if nothing else, so I'll give him some credit for that.
  






>  This is one of Wes Wilson's posters, and I've found I like his work, a lot of the stuff done in the psychedelia era I find too over powering with the colours, but Wilson doesn't use too many clashing colours.
The 'tiki' mask has been reduced to very basic lines, like most figures in the psychedelic times, but is still NOT boring because he use tapering lines and patterns. The bubbly background is a perfect example of the 60's wanting to fill every inch of the page. Almost like they were afraid of white space.



References
http://gypsyart.yolasite.com/art-history/tag/pop%20art
http://mog.com/Jonh_Ingham/blog/95273
http://gds.parkland.edu/gds/!lectures/history/1960/psychedelia.html

No comments:

Post a Comment