Sunday, June 26, 2011

Postmodern

The Playful Post
Postmodernism was a time where every one wanted to break away form the "boring" simplicity of the Swiss era, so naturally people went from one extreme to another. the Postmodernists were all about finding ways to break the rules, they shuck things up by turning them inside out and up side down. mostly they were interested in ornamentation, symbolism and making things as funny as they could. they used lots if geometric shapes and pot natural curves in odd places. the posters and advertisements were often styled around either collage or geometric shapes. And a lot of the highlights of the Postmodern era was based around eccentric architecture and furniture that was either a distorted version of natural shapes, or a jumble of geometry.

< The "Ecco Telephone" is one of my favorites from this era. I like it because it is sleek and different at that the same time. the Postmodern era was all about thinking outside the box. The curve down the middle sets this phone apart from its more simple and straight predecessors.





> Ettore Sottsass's Book shelf with its simple eccentricity and odd angles, is my all-time-favorite from this era. I'm not too fond of the colours, but if I could get my hands on one I would love it till the day I died (provided I could paint it black).






References:
http://gds.parkland.edu/gds/!lectures/history/1975/postmodern.html
http://www.eccoid.com/item.php?cat=2&id=4&imageid=4
http://www.furniturefashion.com/2008/04/09/1980s_ettore_sottsass_carlton_bookcase_by_memphis_italy.html

No comments:

Post a Comment